Solaris 10 init.d startup failing

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 22:01:43 IST 2006

On 01/09/06, Jeff A. Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:
> Ray,
>
> You are a hero!  It also works for me with:
>
> su - root -c "/opt/mailscanner/bin/check_mailscanner"
>
> No Earthly idea why a subshell as root would work, since I run the
> /etc/init.d script as root anyway.

Jeff, see Logans (and Rays) comments ... The thing is that the "su -
root -c ..." isn't _just_ a subshell like any shell... It is a faked
logon with all that that implies. I'm somewhat rusty on Solaris
details, but this is common to all *nix... The startup environment is
often very much more "bare bones" than for an actual interractive
shell (even when setup through su which, depending on platform might
not be that close to the "real thing":). So, one could say it's just
another take on the usual cron problem:-):-).
If you can determine exactly what needs be set, you'll likely be able
to dispense with the "su" altogether... But you all knew that;)

--
-- Glenn