MailScanner hangs once a day

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Sep 1 00:21:06 IST 2006

Sergio García Caso spake the following on 8/31/2006 12:11 AM:
> - I cycle my syslog every day.
>> - Syslog continues running after MailScanner hangs.
>> - In /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/ there are several dirs with mail
>> files. There is another file too called 'SpamAssassin.cache.db'.
>> - In /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/ there are several files called
>> 'bayes....' (for example: 'bayes_toks.expire10031',
>> 'bayes_toks.expire20819')
>> - I use the virus scanner ClamAV 0.88.4
>> - I use Spamaasassin 3.1.3
>> - I use Postfix 2.3 and it continues running after MailScanner hangs
>>

>> I wonder if there is a bayes expire problem here.
>> Could you give your settings for the following;
>
>> # To avoid resource leaks, re-start periodically
>> Restart Every = 7200
>
>> Rebuild Bayes Every = 86400
>
>> Wait During Bayes Rebuild = yes
>
> I have the next values for this parameters:
>
>    * Restart Every = 14400 (it runs OK)
>
>    * Rebuild Bayes Every = 0
>
>    * Wait During Bayes Rebuild = no
>
> I tried 'Wait During Bayes Rebuild = yes'  but MailScanner hangs too.

Then your bayes may never be rebuilt. Since you have the restart at 14400
(once a day) try it at half that and see if it changes the pattern of lockups.
Maybe you are getting some sort of memory leak, and re-starting more often
might fix it.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and