mqueue.in just gets bigger - no delivery?

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Sep 1 00:04:46 IST 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Brett Charbeneau wrote:

> 	I *did* try to upgrade sendmail, but there's an upstream problem with
> the package, so I was able to downgrade back.
> 	I let apt-get (this is in Debian) deal with the binaries, but I did
> check the conf files and they all reverted.

This is why I have never liked these " pre packaged " packages, be it .deb
or .rpm

on serious requirments like kernel,  apache, sendmail, bind and so on I
always use the real versions, not my OS's packagers prefered.

far far far less hassles doing it that way.

Also many many years ago I was bitten by a frigged up RH rpm update of a
kernel that passed package verification, it was only on the update sites
for a few hours but that was enough to destroy the sleep of a few ppl.

> 	and I'm mounting this as a separate partition in fstab like so:
>
> /dev/sda3       /tmp            ext3    defaults        0       2

As this is ext3 and not a swap I'd change that  0 to a 1 so its dumps

> 	I'm seriously considering going this route and effectively starting over
> with the MS install.

takes only a few minutes :) for both MS and Sendmail

> R> Check Sendmail Dir perms:
> R> drwxrwx---   2 smmsp  smmsp  4096 2006-08-31 08:45 clientmqueue/
> R> drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root   4096 2006-08-31 08:45 mqueue/
> R> drwxr-x---   2 root   bin    4096 2006-08-31 08:45 mqueue.in/
>

> 	Okay, now this should be interesting.
> 	Here's what I got:
>
> drwxr-s---   2 smmta smmsp 28672 Aug 31 09:22 mqueue
> drwxrws---   2 smmsp smmsp  4096 Aug 31 09:16 mqueue-client
> drwxr-x---   2 root  bin   61440 Aug 31 09:22 mqueue.in

yes, more vendor specific mutilation, ew yukky

> R> I also strongly suggest that you should upgrade,  4.51 is rather old
> R> any many of us may be trying to offer suggestions based on later releases.
> R> (like my display info above, cant recall when that was changed)
>
> 	Debian *is* quite conservative on what it considers "stable". For the
> most part I agree with them, but I should probably consider installing MS from a
> tarball instead...

Good Idea :)

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd