MailScanner MailScanner-4.56.8-1 Issue

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 31 16:53:19 GMT 2006

Duncan Berriman spake the following on 10/31/2006 6:22 AM:
> Hi Scott,
>
> After your email I did a google for MailScanner Sendmail duplicate mail and
> found the answer. I changed the lock to flock (as per the notes in the
> MailScanner.conf) and so far things look good - no duplicates in 3 hours.
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction I hadn't considered the
> sendmail/mailscanner configuration.
>
> Duncan
>

>> Are you using sendmail?
>> Which version?

That is the direction I was leaning. Glad you found it. The newer versions of
MailScanner state that in the comments of the .conf file.
# How to lock spool files.
# Don't set this unless you *know* you need to.
# For sendmail, it defaults to "posix".
# For sendmail 8.12 and older, you will probably need to change it to flock,
# particularly on Linux systems.
# For Exim, it defaults to "posix".
# No other type is implemented.
Lock Type = posix

Also, if you use dovecot, make sure it is set to a compatible lock type. That
issue has also come up recently.
--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and