MailScanner as mail proxy

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Oct 31 11:34:37 GMT 2006

Marc Lucke wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to get anything in MailScanner to check with
> my destination email server that the actual account exists before
> accepting the email in the first place?

MailScanner can't do this as it doesn't get involved in the SMTP
conversation.

You can do this using a sendmail milter - have a look at
http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-ahead/ (I personally use this
and the author is a personal friend, it very well written - but you do
have to pay for it), alternatively there is a free alternative (I've
never tried it though, so I can't comment on it's features) at
http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-sav.html.

Kind regards,
Steve.