MailScanner MailScanner-4.56.8-1 Issue

Duncan Berriman duncan at dcl.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 23:48:39 GMT 2006

Hi,

I recently installed MailScanner-4.56.8-1 on FC 2. I've used it in the past
and had no problems however the new version appears to be duplicating mails
from the /var/spool/mqueue.in/ directory.

I have ruled out problems with SpamAssasin or Clamav. The problem happens
fairly randomly but regularly and is reported in the maillog as follows.

Unlinking /var/spool/mqueue.in/dfk9UGfTcN018060 failed: No such file or
directory

The problem can be seen that two MailScanner children are picking the same
email to process and one completes before the other and hence the error. The
email is delivered twice, mostly identical but sometimes missing content
depending on the timing. The 2nd child process reports the problem as the
file can not be moved since the first has already done it.

This clearly appears to be some form of locking issue.

The only way I have currently found to solve the problem is set the children
to 1 so that its single threaded which is not ideal.

Any ideas?

New to the list so apologies if this a known problem etc but couldn't find
much on the net.

Thanks in advance
Duncan