core dump files

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:05:00 IST 2006

On 27/10/06, Gordon Colyn <gordon at itnt.co.za> wrote:
> ITNT Banner CampaignIn the last week I am starting to suddenly get 200mb
> core dump files in my /var/spool/mqueue.in directory which eventually fill
> my hard drive.
>
> core.16104: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> SVR4-style, SVR4-style, from 'MailScanner'
>
> How do I stop this?
>
> I am running Mandriva 2006,
> sendmail 8.13.4,
> clamavmodule 0.88.5,
> spamassassin 3.1.7
> and MailScanner 4.55.9

The question is why they'd be created at all... Do you get anything in
the logs around the core file creation time? Can you get a GDB "where"
from it (will likely not reveal much)?
Did you do some "urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto --auto-select" (or
other update) close to these starting (I run the same
distro/version... always try to do the updates on my testbed first:-)?
Anything in syslog or dmesg indicating a HW problem?
The last one is where I'd pool my bets....:-).

--
-- Glenn