Sync config files

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 13:58:34 IST 2006

On 27/10/06, Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/10/06, Roald <roalda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As I am now setting up the third MailScanner-server, I was wondering what
> > you use to sync the config files? /etc/MailScanner and /etc/mail  are very
> > similar and previously I have been ssh'ing to both servers and making the
> > changes when adding new domains etc. But now I would like to sync them.
> > rsync are one alternative, any better? I have looked at cfengine, but it
> > seems a bit overkill for my task.
>
> You could use something like Rdist over SSH with some custom
> post-install 'cmdspecial' steps to tailor each config to its server if
> necessary?
>
> Will.

I always found rdist to be slightly yucky (:-), and would probably
prefer a scripted solution around rsynch (ssh mode) or lftp (mirror
function) and straight ssh for any postprocessing. But I suppose one
always tend to favour the tools one knows best (it's been quite a few
years since last I fiddled with rdist)....:-).
Those mirroring tools wouldn't have the pre/post-processing inbuilt,
but then... would there really be any need for such, in this case?

--
-- Glenn