OT : Disaster recovery?

Joshua Hirsh joshua.hirsh at partnersolutions.ca
Thu Oct 26 16:44:32 IST 2006

I'll just add in a few cents to the pot.

If you have everything documented and streamlined, you can easily
restore the server using a kickstart process (assuming RedHat-ish,
here).

In my case, I have a kickstart CD I built for my servers if I ever have
to rebuild them quickly. All software I've installed (modules, plugins,
etc) are all packaged in RPM files.

The kickstart process installs all required RPM's the system will need
and all the magic was done in the "post" scripts, where it would either
install the latest package from a file repository from the LAN, or use
the one burned on the CD.

 The total time for one of these servers to be restored is 10 minutes
(from cold start to finish).

 That being said, I do also backup my server.. as you don't want to have
to re-install the entire thing because you erased one file :-P

 Cheers,
-Joshua