Inbox fles and possible bug

Alex Neuman alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Oct 24 20:26:14 IST 2006

Miguel Koren OBrien de Lacy escribió:
> Gentlemen;
>

> My conclusion is that dovecot is particularly intolerant of the file format but also
> that something is putting in the blank line.
Very true.
>  The blank line does not have space
> charaters, just a line break. My prime suspect at the moment for doing this is
> MailScanner because it works on the emails before final delivery. I think that this
> user gets some type of email content that causes Mail Scanner to insert the spurious
> character at the start of the header and that if this happens with the first email
> received after the mailbox is emptied, the problem happens.
>
> So the questions are if anybody has seens a similar problem and if my theory about a
> subtle "bug" in MailScanner make sense?

More likely a bug in how messages get picked up, scanned, and put in the
mailbox. I haven't been able to reproduce the behaviour, but I *have*
noticed that the problem doesn't present itself when "Max Children =1",
and I've noticed it happen only when dovecot is reading the inboxes.

What I've done in the meantime when a corrupted message (or line within
an mbox file) doesn't allow the user to read mail is:

1. Rename the mbox file
2. do the following
formail -s sendmail user at yourdomain.tld < renamed.mbox.file

Usually this means that if the user was using POP and leaving messages
on the server for an X amount of days, those messages will be
redelivered "as new".