Dictionary Attacks

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Oct 24 18:53:20 IST 2006

I spoke to soon last week. Staring Friday we came under a heavy old
fashioned dictionary attack. Each day from noon until 4pm EDT.

The IPs are so widely scattered it seems it would do no good to track
them. Right now milter-grey is consuming over 50% of my CPUs. If it
follows the same course as the prior days, about the time the attack on
one server starts to ease up it will increase on the next server.

Milter-ahead is dealing with the connections that return. It could turn
into a DOS with a few thousand more connections. Funny but there are so
many connections for non-existant accounts that my load has fallen
nearly to the floor. There is no traffic for MailScanner to operate on,
the server is so dang busy telling zombies to go away.

There has to be a better way to make a living than this 8^(

DAve

Veterans?