problem starting MailScanner: dual perl config on raq4

Dan Houghton lists at crossharbour.net
Tue Oct 24 17:41:09 IST 2006

At 17:18 24/10/2006, you wrote:
> > Pete Smith spake the following on 10/24/2006 4:54 AM:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I have a problem starting MailScanner on a raq4. The raq has all updates
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > I've gone down the route of installing perl5.8 in /usr/local/bin as the
> > > original perl is still required in /usr/bin (raq admin interface breaks
>if
> > > perl is updated).
> > >
> > > I carefully followed the instructions at
> > > http://www.qitc.net/support/mailscanner/
> > >
> > > but when I get to staring MailScanner, it pukes with the following
>output:
> > >
> > > MailScanner:       Can't locate Time/HiRes.pm in @INC (@INC
> > > contains: /usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-
> > > linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-
> > > linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 . /usr/lib/MailScanner)
> > > at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 65.
> > > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 65.
> > >
> > > This looks like more of a perl issue than a MailScanner one. However,
>seeing
> > > as this list is likely populated by people who have had this issue
>before, I
> > > thought I'd ask here.
> > >
> > > Anyone care to poke me gently in the right direction?
> > >
> > > BTW, I've RTFM and STFW but can't find any answer that doesn't say "why
>are
> > > you using a raq" or "use centos" or somesuch.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Pete Smith
> > There is this howto;
> > http://www.nuonce.net/cobalt-howto/1084139083.html
> >
> > If you are in need of something newer for your raq4, you can try
>BlueQuartz.
> > It is CentOS with the open sourced raq frontends.
>

>Yup, those are the same as the instructions I followed.  I think it's the
>dual perl install that is the problem.
>
>As far as I am aware I installed Time::HiRes with perl 5.8, but when I
>attempt to start MailScanner it pukes with:
>
>MailScanner:       Can't locate Time/HiRes.pm in @INC (@INC
>contains: /usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-
>linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-
>linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 . /usr/lib/MailScanner)
>at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 65.
>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 65.
>
>which makes me think it's trying to use /usr/bin/perl instead
>of /usr/local/bin/perl
>
>How do I install MailScanner so it uses /usr/local/bin/perl ?

I have run MailScanner on a raq4 before and I replaced perl with a
more recent version by following instructions found at
http://www.depopo.net/idx/37/173/article. Replacing perl on a Cobalt
box can be tricky since the GUI relies on it for nearly everything so
I would only recommend doing this if you have plenty of time and some
basic knowledge of where to look for errors etc.

Otherwise, consider moving away from using the raq4 OS and go with
CentOS on the same hardware
(http://www.osoffice.co.uk/strongbolt_server_appliances.html). You
are going to have no end of issues even with the newer version of
perl (SpamAssassin for example) on the raq4 with the Sun OS.

         Dan