How does MailScanner docide which spamassassin rules dir to use

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Oct 20 21:41:01 IST 2006

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Kai Wang wrote:
>> I run MailScanner 4.55.10-3 and spamassassin 3.1.5-1. I enabled
>> sa-update. But I found MailScanner still uses
>> "/usr/share/spamassassin", NOT "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/", for
>> default spamassassin rules dir. What should I change to let user
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/?
>
> How did you determine that it was using /usr/share/spamassassin & not
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/?
>
> I just enabled sa-update and ran it, and presto, I'm on 3.1.7 and have
> the /var/lib/... tree all created.  But nothing in /var/log/mail (or
> elsewhere) said what directory it's using.
>
> spamassassin --lint -D uses the approprite (updated) folder, but of
> course, it bypasses MailScanner...

Replying to myself.  Sigh.  OK, everybody who's ready for a weekend
raise their hand.

Occurred to me to just run MS in debug mode, so I grabbed my book of the
shelf (you've all bought The Book, right?) and did a quick lookup.  Long
story short, it worked just fine here on my my test box.

FWIW, I updated on the 13th using Jules' combined package, and did the
auto-update via /etc/cron.daily/sa-update.  I'm taking it on faith that
if SA is updated in the middle of the night, that MS will sort it out.
If not immediately, when it does its auto restart after four hours.

So now if clamav would autoupdate the engine as well as the definition
files I could just set the cruise control and get back to playing
Tux-Racer. :-)

S'later...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500