RBL and exim

Paul Welsh paul at welshfamily.com
Wed Oct 18 22:30:27 IST 2006

Can anyone just tell me whether I'm correct in assuming that if I want exim
to test incoming mail connections against RBLs I change the following lines
in /etc/exim.conf (I'm using DirectAdmin which comes with the SpamBlocker
config):

#                 SpamBlocker.exim.conf.2.0-release                  #
#   Runtime configuration file for DirectAdmin/Exim 4.24 and above   #
begin acl
# various other lines removed
# Here's the SpamCop RBL, it's one of several
  deny message = Email blocked by SPAMCOP - to unblock see
http://www.example.com/
       hosts = !+relay_hosts
       domains = +use_rbl_domains
       !authenticated = *
       dnslists = bl.spamcop.net

The reason I ask is that a user reported getting this error:

"The server responded: 553 Your IP address 212.183.134.65 is blackholed by
bl.spamcop.net."

What's confusing me is that the error message doesn't correspond to what's
in the exim.conf file.

In general terms, I can't see much point in using these RBLs at the gateway
- most spam comes via my secondary MX which is run by a third party and
doesn't do these checks.  SpamAssassin will do these checks against mail
servers further down the chain anyhow.