new install

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 18 00:55:59 IST 2006

Jon Miller spake the following on 10/17/2006 4:27 PM:
> I'm about to install MailScanner, postfix, sophos and MailWatch on a new server.
>Is there a preferred order to doing this?  This will be for the purpose of
testing and
>trying to understand what and how MailScanner works.  Since the last installation went
>tits up thought I better check with the group on this one.  Is it better to install
>everything on the single server or should I divide certain things up.
>
> Jon

I would get postfix going and able to pass messages.
You can install sophos using the sophos-install script included with MailScanner
Then get MailScanner installed and make sure that mail flows properly, test
with eicar file to see if virus scanning is working.
Then you can get mailwatch going.

One step at a time gives consistent points of pass/fail as you go.

You can install everything on one server if that is all you are going to use,
but if you are going to want to play with multiple machines in the future, you
ctry and do a distributed mailwatch setup, and maybe a central bayes db
server. All this can be done later, as you progress with your learning.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and