Server Loads/hardware standards - recommendations

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 17 23:09:11 IST 2006

Julian Field spake the following on 10/17/2006 12:29 PM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>>> Michael Kain spake the following on 10/17/2006 9:52 AM:

> You can make a huge difference to the amount of spam you have to process
> with 2 tools:
>
> 1) milter-gris
> 2) milter-null
>
> Number 1 implements grey-listing. There are a lot of discussions about
> greylisting on the web, and a lot of people are very wary of it
> initially. I was too. Then I ran a test with a handful of the fussiest
> email users I have (I've got about 2000 users in total). I told them I
> was implementing something new, but refused to tell them what, so they
> would not have any pre-conceptions about it. They *all* loved it, and
> none of them reported any problems at all. So I implemented it across
> all of my users, who are very fussy Computer Science and Electronics
> academics, as well as the students. That was about 6 months ago, since
> when I have had *1* complaint, which I dealt with by adding them to the
> whitelist for it.
>
> So my conclusion with greylisting is test it with some very fussy users,
> then roll it out to everyone.
>
> Number 2 implements back-scatter detection. Basically, what this does is
> get rid of all the "This message could not be delivered..." notices that
> weren't generated in response to your own users' mail. It doesn't throw
> away all of them, so that if your users mistype an address, they still
> get the error message from it. But all the delivery failure messages
> generated by forged spam get killed.
>
> Between these 2, you will remove 80-90% of all the mail coming into your
> site, without losing any genuine real mail at all. This will make your
> hardware go a hell of a lot further, and you will find you don't need to
> spend any money on new hardware at all.
>
> My MX servers used to just about cope. Then I implemented these 2
> techniques and they now just tick along quite happily, getting very bored.
>
> Both of the above techniques can be done very easily in sendmail and
> Postfix using the milters which are available from www.snertsoft.com. I
> thoroughly recommend them to everyone.
>
> Jules

So the addition of the two milters doesn't add that much load?
I am using mimedefang currently to kill all the dictionary attacks at my
backup MX's, but might consider something else when the spam load goes up.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and