Server Loads/hardware standards

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 17 19:03:43 IST 2006

Michael Kain spake the following on 10/17/2006 9:52 AM:
> Recently, I've gone from handling 40k messages /day to nearly 30k/hour.
> The change has surfaced in the last month or so.
>
> My current setup:
> Dual P3 1.13
> 1GB Ram
> FC5
>
> Mail gateway running MS/clam/SA forwards scanned mail to internal mail
> server (when there's a problem, users hit send/receive and that doesn't
> cause an error..thus avoiding immediate call) I've used Julian's clam/sa
> install script (which is awesome), and read posts relating to new
> releases before upgrading/such.
>
> With spamassassin enabled, the batch list grows and grows, was up to 95k
> at one point.. disabling SA in MS cleared that out fairly quickly.  I've
> wiped the SA/bayes temp files thinking bayes was backing up, however, it
> seems that is not helping.
>
> What I would like an opinion on is this... Am I trying to do too much
> with the hardware that I currently have?  Or do I put together a bigger
> beefier machine?
>
> -Mike
The current recommendation is 1 gig per processor.
 Is any of this mail stuff that can be rejected easily by MTA rules or
non-existant users?
Do you have a caching nameserver running on the gateway machine?

You could also handle this load by adding another gateway machine and using a
round-robin dns to pseudu-loadshare. It could help you handle some of the load
until you decide if you need a new machine.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and