Server Loads/hardware standards

Michael Kain mscanlist at drisp.com
Tue Oct 17 17:52:12 IST 2006

Recently, I've gone from handling 40k messages /day to nearly 30k/hour.
The change has surfaced in the last month or so.

My current setup:
Dual P3 1.13
1GB Ram
FC5

Mail gateway running MS/clam/SA forwards scanned mail to internal mail
server (when there's a problem, users hit send/receive and that doesn't
cause an error..thus avoiding immediate call) I've used Julian's clam/sa
install script (which is awesome), and read posts relating to new
releases before upgrading/such.

With spamassassin enabled, the batch list grows and grows, was up to 95k
at one point.. disabling SA in MS cleared that out fairly quickly.  I've
wiped the SA/bayes temp files thinking bayes was backing up, however, it
seems that is not helping.

What I would like an opinion on is this... Am I trying to do too much
with the hardware that I currently have?  Or do I put together a bigger
beefier machine?

-Mike