sendmail /etc/mail/access

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Tue Oct 17 08:26:40 IST 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Erik van der Leun wrote:

> >> Does anybody know a way to block all email to a
> >> certain address on
> >> sendmail level? (I'd know what to do in MailScanner)
> >>
> >> As far as I'm concerned /etc/mail/access only can
> >> discard mails /from/ a
> >> certain address, but not /to/ a certain address..
> >>
> >> Anybody? :)
> >>

> > Hello,
> > You can do this with REJECT on the right hand side
> > example-
> > user at domain          REJECT

I also find it useful to maintain a list of valid users for dialup
domains in the access file, eg:

To:user1 at example.com	RELAY
To:user2 at example.com	RELAY
To:user3 at example.com	RELAY
To:example.com		ERROR:5.1.1:550 No such user

Then you can avoid sending mail for non-existent users to the client that
they will have to send back to you again when they next connect.  It also
means you can have a policy of always reject rather than bounce wrongly
addressed mail.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service