Logs as localhost

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Sat Oct 14 14:57:45 IST 2006

 > I have not dug into this so sorry if this has come up but does anyone
 > > know why MailScanner would report as localhost to syslogd under Solaris 10?
 > >
 > > Oct 13 19:55:41 localhost MailScanner[5322]: New Batch: Scanning 1
 > > messages, 1393 bytes

 >It's a known bug/feature on Solaris, there's even a bug report about this for
 >Sys::Syslog.

 >I have changed it to report in the normal format, just change a couple of
 >lines in MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm :
 >

 >line 39 -
 >use Sys::Syslog qw(:DEFAULT setlogsock);>
 >
 >line 71 -
 >       Sys::Syslog::setlogsock('native');

 >This on version 4.57.1, It's the same in 4.56.8 but not before (or 2 versions
 >before), the line number changed.

That got it thanks!! I'm on MailScanner 4.56.7 and the code had an extra if for
solaris and irix, etc.... So I just commented out the chunk and added back a
single line eval with the native setlogsock. Restarted MailScanner and we are
in business. [Apologizes to the others who tried to help but for whom I did not
post complete info like my /etc/hosts stuff or state that only MailScanner was
logging wrong.]

-Mike