Mail Logs (OT)

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 11:19:28 IST 2006

On 13/10/06, Drew Marshall <drew at technologytiger.net> wrote:
> On Fri, October 13, 2006 07:27, Peter Russell wrote:
> > Hi there, i have mailscanner, postfix, and mailwatch.
> >
> > What i would like to be able to easily see is all of the mail stats.
> > Because we block a lot of mail at the MTA using recipient maps we have
> > heaps of stats in the maillog that dont make it to mailwatch.
> >
> > Is there any tool that will show me all of the spam, high spam, viruses,
> > rejected by MTA and delivered type stats?
>
> Have a look at pflogsumm http://jimsun.linxnet.com/postfix_contrib.html

I use this (in conjunction with MailWatch one get a good grip on
things). It doesn't handle the HOLD construct very well, and if you
(like me) have maillogs split into separate info, warning and error
files then you'll need look at some other logfile (that has them all
in sequence) like syslog...
Other than that, it works very well. I post the logs through a very
ugly/simplistic php hack, so the PHB/windoze disabled collegues can
look at it too:-).  I run a daily and a weekly summary from cron that
dump the textfiles into the published directory... And the hack just
display them. Pretty much like the CGI you can find through Jimsun....
I just missed it:-). Can probably clean it a bit and share upon
request.

> There are others listed at http://www.postfix.org/addon.html which might
> also give you the details you want.

I looked at a lot of those (anteater, isoqlog etc etc) and most work
pretty badly when taking the HOLD thing into account. And pflogsumm
gives the best (most relevant) results IMO.

--
-- Glenn