Periodic (5min) SpamAssassin timeouts

Tony Johansson tony.johansson at svenskakyrkan.se
Tue Oct 10 10:54:25 IST 2006

> I'd check
>
> 1) DNS (are you running a local caching nameserver on the servers?)

1: We're running named as caching nameservers on all machines with rbldnsd for
certain zones. rbldnsd zones are rsynced hourly from the sources.

>From named.conf:
zone "list.dsbl.org" IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
                127.0.0.1 port 530;
        };

};

And from /etc/sysconfig/rbldnsd:

RBLDNSD="dsbl -l/var/log/rbldnsd -r/var/lib/rbldns/data -t 21600 -q -f -c 60 \
        -p /var/run/rbldnsd.pid -b127.0.0.1/530 \
        list.dsbl.org:ip4set:rbldns-list.dsbl.org \
        dnsbl.sorbs.net:combined:dnsbl.sorbs.net \
        bulk.rhs.mailpolice.com:dnset:bulk.rhs.mailpolice.com \
        fraud.rhs.mailpolice.com:dnset:fraud.rhs.mailpolice.com \
        multi.surbl.org:dnset:multi.surbl.org.rbldnsd"

Know of any good ways of debugging dns-lookups? Something I could add to
whatever debugging i do whenever a timeout occurs?

> 2) more likely bayes issues. How are you cleaning the bayes system? Are
> you letting mailScanner do it (via the
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf/mailScanner.conf) settings, or are you doing
> this manually via a cron job?

2: We have "Rebuild Bayes Every = 0" in MailScanner.conf
04:04 cron runs "clean.and.sa-learn":
#!/bin/bash
cd /root/.spamassassin
rm -f /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks.expire*
/usr/bin/sa-learn --force-expire

Heres the bayes dir:

ls -lh in /root/.spamassassin:
-rw-------    1 root     root            6 Aug 12  2005 auto-whitelist.mutex
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          83K Oct 10 11:47 bayes_journal
-rw-------    1 root     root          31K Oct 10 11:47 bayes.mutex
-rw-------    1 root     root         313M Oct 10 11:46 bayes_seen
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          20M Oct 10 11:47 bayes_toks
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Jun 22 03:22
__db.bayes_toks.expire15788.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Aug 15 01:40
__db.bayes_toks.expire16514.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Sep 16 01:25
__db.bayes_toks.expire16812.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Aug  9 01:37
__db.bayes_toks.expire17653.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Aug 30 20:31
__db.bayes_toks.expire19732.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Aug 28 19:24
__db.bayes_toks.expire20943.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Jun 21 20:54
__db.bayes_toks.expire21074.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K May 17 01:00
__db.bayes_toks.expire22028.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Sep 20 22:38
__db.bayes_toks.expire24240.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Aug 28 23:27
__db.bayes_toks.expire29445.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K May 31 23:25
__db.bayes_toks.expire30243.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Jun  8 03:07
__db.bayes_toks.expire3378.
-rw-rw----    1 root     root          12K Jul 19 04:43
__db.bayes_toks.expire4537.
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1.1K Jan  2  2004 user_prefs

Timing seems spot on with when the last timeouts stopped but why the 5 min
timeouts? Should we let MailScanner manage the rebuilds and at what settings?

Regards, Tony