Header message suddenly appeared

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:09:01 IST 2006

On 09/10/06, Wayne <wjohns at balita.ph> wrote:
> At 08:11 09/10/2006, you wrote:
>
> Glenn
>
> We only have one sendmail install on the server (it is Balita's own
> server not shared).
> Our MS version is MailScanner-4.55.10-3 installed from a tar file
> using ./install.sh
> OS is Red Hat Enterprise Server 3.
Thanks for the info. Eh, the tarball would be the rpm tarball then...
(confusing, isn't it:-)... The one that installs all the needed
RPMs:-)? Oh, I see you cite the version with the telltale -3, so
that's probably it. Good.

> I have noted from the daily LogWatch the following error:
>
>     Aborting due to syntax errors in
> /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf. : 18 Time(s)
>     Enabling SpamAssassin auto-whitelist functionality... : 12 Time(s)
>  >>>   Unrecognised keyword "spamassassinprefsfile" at line 2205 : 9 Time(s)
>
> It is to be noted the error on line >>> says spamassassinprefsfile
> line 2205 is as follows:
>
> Line 2205 is # unsupported   - code may be completely untested, a
> contributed dirty hack,
> #                 anything, really.
> # alpha         - code is pretty well untested. Don't assume it will work.
> # beta          - code is tested a bit. It should work.
> # supported     - code *should* be reliable.
> #
> # Don't even *think* about setting this to anything other than "beta" or
> # "supported" on a system that receives real mail until you have tested it
> # yourself and are happy that it is all working as you expect it to.
> # Don't set it to anything other than "supported" on a system that could
> # ever receive important mail.
> #
> # READ and UNDERSTAND the above text BEFORE changing this.
> #
> Minimum Code Status = supported
>
> Envelope From Header = X-MailScanner-From:
> Envelope To Header = X-MailScanner-To:
> Line 2223 is reads ... SpamAssassin Prefs File =
> /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>
> I have listed line 2205 to 2223 as 2223 is the only one I can see
> that relate to the error in my LogWatch.

I have a vague recollection of this error, from a fresh install some
(perhaps a lot:-) versions back (prior to 4.55.10, I think). You might
find something about this if you search the archives... Just did...
Seems you can probably just comment it out (line 2223).
Perhaps you did an upgrade and didn't do upgrade_MailScanner_conf?

> Whether the two problems are related I do not know.

Don't know. Lets hope so:-).

--
-- Glenn