Mail Backing up while SpamAssassin is in Use

Derek Catanzaro derek at adcatanzaro.com
Mon Oct 9 15:42:30 IST 2006

***I posted this thread in the spamassassin mailing list and was advised
by another MailScanner user to post here for tuning tips with MS/SA***

I have been having issues with mail backing up on and off over the past
week.  I am using MailScanner with SpamAssassin.  This morning for
example, I had roughly 500 messages waiting in /var/spool/mqueue.in and
that number had increased to about 2200 in less than an hour.  I then
tell MailScanner to stop using SpamAssassin to try and identify if the
problem is with SpamAssassin or not and now I'm back down to less than
50 messages waiting in the queue in less than a matter of 10 -15
minutes.  So obviously this tells me something is going on with
SpamAssassin.

I ran "spamassassin --lint -D" and I did not notice any problems with
the output other than a dcc timeout.  Then again, spamassassin has
always worked well for me so I may be missing something in the output
because I have really never had to troubleshoot this kind of issue with
spamassassin.  The recent changes I have made to try and combat the
problem is to disable bayes and I turned off the auto expire for the
bayes tokens just to make sure that wasn't slowing things down.

I am running a local caching name server so I do not believe this to be
a DNS timing issue.  I can provide my spamassassin --lint -D output if
anyone is interested.

Fedora Core 1
SpamAssassin 3.1.0
MailScanner 4.49.7