FW: Missing /rules files from MailScanner installation from ports

James L. Day lday at txk.k12.ar.us
Sat Oct 7 05:43:59 IST 2006

I just did a clean install on my FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE machine. My comments
are within..

Michael S. wrote:

> There is a problem with installing MailScanner 4.55.10-3 via ports. I
> reported this many months ago, still the same old problem.
>
> If you install MS on a server that has never had MS it starts
> complaining about the following files that it can’t find.
>
> About 4 or so months ago when I reported this, the port maintainer
> tried to tell me my port system on my Freebsd box had a problem. Since
> then, we have purchased 4 additional Freebsd boxes that all exhibit
> the same installation issue, missing files after the install. If you
> don’t believe me, try installing MS on a Freebsd server that has never
> had MS installed. The following list of files will be missing from
> your installation;
>
> /rules/bounce.rule
>
> /rules/max.message.size.rule
>
> /mcp/mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf

I agree..

Oct 6 23:23:16 alms MailScanner[30703]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
version 4.55.10 starting...
Oct 6 23:23:16 alms MailScanner[30703]: Could not read file
/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp/mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf
Oct 6 23:23:16 alms MailScanner[30703]: Error in line 2027, file
"/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp/mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for
mcpspamassassinprefsfile does not exist (or can not be read)
Oct 6 23:23:16 alms MailScanner[30703]: Cannot open ruleset file
/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/bounce.rules, No such file or directory
Oct 6 23:23:16 alms MailScanner[30703]: Cannot open ruleset file
/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/max.message.size.rules, No such file or
directory

--- snip --

> Also, the follow files ARE NOT copied to /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
> According to the docs;
>
> The port installs two start/stop scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:
>
> mailscanner.sh
>
> mta.sh

I disagree. They were created for me...

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1017 Oct 6 23:19 mailscanner.sh
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4412 Oct 6 23:19 mta.sh