OT: Scanning outgoing mail

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Sat Oct 7 00:01:33 IST 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> You guys are so awesome!  I have it set up now.  I had to go ahead and
> edit the access file and add the exchange server as a relay.
>
> Also I had no connector there so I had to add a new one.

One thing I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that you
probably want to look at your set of trusted hosts/networks
(the "trusted_networks" setting for SpamAssassin) and think
about whether your Exchange server is in that set and whether
you want it to be in the set.  It might already be trusted
if it's on the same subnet with trusted clients.  Or not,
depending on how you have it set up.

How it should be set up is probably a judgement call,
but it'd probably be worthwhile to be intentional about
whatever you choose.  Including the Exchange server in the
trusted_networks set will mean it won't be checked against RBLs
and stuff like that.  And I believe messages coming from it and
going through your MailScanner machine will also get an extra
negative score for ALL_TRUSTED.  (Though whether any outside
parties care about how you score messages as they leave your
server is another question.)

   - Logan