Config for Out of Office in Outlook

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Oct 5 16:42:14 IST 2006

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> <snip>
>> No, you want it set in Exchange System Manager.  I forget where and
>> am just leaving (all the fun I can handle for the day!), but google
>> for it. If you can't find it holler and I'll dig deeper tomorrow.
>>
>> Somewhere in System manager is where you can set up a number of
>> things that outta be changed, such as turn off RTF format to the
>> internet, turn off Out of Office notifications to the internet, etc.
>>
>> I can set my Out of Office in Outlook, and it works fine internally,
>> but they never leave our system.  But it's a server side setting
>> because you don't want to rely on your users to remember (or have to
>> even agree) to turn it off in the client...
>>
>> ...Kevin
>> --
>> Kevin Miller                Registered Linux User No: 307357
>> CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
>> 155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
>> Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500
>> --
>
> Looks like it might be this:
> 1. In system manager, go to Global Settings
> 2. Right click on Internet message Formats, click on properties
> 3. Go to the Advanced tab
>
> There you will see check marks for "Allow out of office responses"
>
> Is that the correct setting?

Yup, thanks Billy.  Although I had trouble getting there following steps
1-3.  I'm probably still waiting for the morning's coffee to kick in.
<g>  For me, it was:
1. In system manager, go to Global Settings
2. Left click on Internet message Formats, in the right hand pane select
the Internet Message Format that talks to the internet.  I have several
'formats' as I talk to other Exchange servers, but my default format
talks to the internet (via my MailScanner gateways) so that's the one I
operate on.  Either double click it, or right click and go to
properties.
3. Go to the Advanced tab
4. Select Never Use in the Exchange Rich Text Format area.  I'm
persuaded that RTF sucks.  YMMV.  Season to taste.
5. Uncheck Allow Out of Office Responses.

You're done.  Well, mostly.  You might also want to check out these
pages:
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_spam:spamass
assin:sa-learn:msexchange (I haven't done this yet but probably will
soon.)
http://www.fsl.com/support/Milter-Ahead-Exchange-Settings.pdf This
references milter-ahead, but I'm using smf-sav.  Nonetheless, the
concept is the same and running either milter is a righteous thing to
do...

...Kevin