Help needed with mailscanner

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 4 11:26:29 IST 2006

Hi Jon,

Jon Miller wrote:
> MailWatch I'm assuming as I did not put this system together another engineer did and now he is in the states.
> Supposedly it has MailScanner, MailWatch, Sophos as the AntiVirus component and Spam Assassin as the Spam filter.
>
> Thanks

> Jon Miller wrote:
>> Can anyone help with fixing mailscanner running on a Linux server. The main problem seems that I cannot get the web page to display (console) so I can do the updates and view the stats. Is there a command that can be issue in a terminal session that can do the updates?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jon

>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>> <HTML><HEAD>
>> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
>> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2963" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
>> <BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
>> <DIV>Can anyone help with fixing mailscanner running on a Linux server.&nbsp;
>> The main problem seems that I cannot get the web page to display (console) so I
>> can do the updates and view the stats.&nbsp; Is there a command that can be
>> issue in a terminal session that can do the updates?</DIV>
>> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
>> <DIV>Thanks</DIV>
>> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
>> <DIV>Jon</DIV></BODY></HTML>
>>
> Jon
>
> MailScanner doesn't come with a html interface, which add-on are you using?

As far as I can see there are two questions in your request.

1.  How do I get the web interface to work?
2.  How can I do updates without the web interface?

For number 1 you probably need to ask on the MailWatch list.  Before you
do that though you should get a better fault description than "cannot
get the web page to display", do you get an error, check the server logs
to see if there is an error in there.  Was this working before?  What
has changed since then?

For number 2 you need to be more explicit in what you mean by updates.
The whole system you describe is made up of many components, pulled
together by Mailscanner.  Each of these can be updated, but the method
for each may be different.  Do you want to upgrade th various components
to newer versions?  Do you want to make sure the virus checkers are
updating their virus libraries?  Do you want to update the spam
detection rules of SpamAssassin?

If you can be clearer about this I am sure many people on this list
could help.

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples