New Batch: found 200 messages waiting, Number keeps increasing

Derek Catanzaro derek at adcatanzaro.com
Wed Oct 4 01:48:25 IST 2006

This morning while tailing my maillog I had roughly 200 messages waiting
which is pretty normal for me.  As the day progressed the number kept
increasing all the way up to close to 10,000 messages waiting.  I need
some help in determining what is causing this or some guidance on what
to look for.  I have had this happen in the past and it has usually been
DNS related but I can rule that out this time.  I have named running and
I am running a local caching name server and it is working as expected.

I did notice several times throughout the day that spamassassin was
timing out but I am not sure if this is the actual cause of the backup.
The only other thing that has changed on my system is that I have pyzor
working now (it was not working before) but that change was made a few
days ago and I have not seen a backup like this until today.

I have spot checked a few mail files and some emails are coming in by as
much as 8 hours late, this is not going to make for a good Wednesday
morning.  Any suggestions on what to check for would be greatly
appreciated.

Fedora Core 1
MailScanner 4.49.7
spamassassin 3.1.0