"Friends Only"

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Oct 3 19:08:53 IST 2006

Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, James Gray wrote:
>> On 03/10/2006, at 10:11 AM, Dan Hollis wrote:
>>> Why shouldn't I be able to blacklist individual known spam SOAs?
>> Why not use the URIBL lists like "OutBlaze" and friends.  Not exactly
>> what you're after but I've found them extremely effective in combating
>> URLs etc that link to known spammers' domains.
>
> The problem is that spammers are now using hundreds of totally
> randomized domains, making URIBL pretty useless.
>
> -Dan

Really? mine hit beautifully. Why do you think uribl is useless?

JP has hit over 38% of the total mail volume on my server this week!

Over 87 percent of my spam-tagged mail has been hit by at least one URIBL rule
(uribl.com, surbl.org or sbl)

Some stats:

total spam:
   4587
total not spam:
   3383
total email examined by SA :
   7970
any uribl, spam tagged
   4020
any uribl, not spam tagged
    110
total any uribl
   4130

In the face of stats like that, how can you even begin to say the URIBLs are
"pretty useless".

Try the attached shell script. It assumes you log spam and nonspam results in
MailScanner format to /var/log/maillog, but it should get you some basic stats
on how your URIBL rules are doing.