Mailscanner/Spam Assassin support for Microsoft IMF/SCL Spam scoring?

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Tue Oct 3 17:36:33 IST 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Duncan, Brian M. wrote:

> >Exchange 2003 SP2 has added a "Intelligent Mail Filter" to allow it to
> deal with spam messages identified by systems like MailScanner or other
> appliance based solutions.
>
> >Basically, it looks for the following header(s):

> >More details can be found at:
>
> >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/E2k7Help/28d3a5c2
> -8509-4b25-9876-763536e77c27.mspx?mfr=true
>
> >So, my question is -- can I add this header with MailScanner, inserting
> the appropriate spam score after the header, e.g.:
>
> >X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL:5
>
> >The trick is, I don't want to mess with my existing header adds, I want
> to add this in addition to my normal ones (X-Spam-Score: XX).  I see
> where I can add additional headers in the:
>
> >Spam Actions = deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"
>
> >However, it is unclear how to insert the spam score "value" in the
> "value" area that it needs to be in.  It is also unclear from the
> Microsoft docs if the "score" can be anything other than whole numbers
> (e.g. can't be 5.5 but 5 is OK).  So, a way to "round" the score would
> be helpful.
>
> >Any pointers?

If the MailScanner/SpamAssassin system has determined that the message is
spam, why not always add a fixed header such as:

so that the message will always be quarantined by Exchange?  I don't see
the benefit of using variable values for the spam score at this point.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service