User unknown attack?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Nov 30 21:12:18 GMT 2006

Timothy Barhorst spake the following on 11/30/2006 12:39 PM:
> Over the last three days, our Mailscanner e-mail server has received >
> 100K attempts to a single BOGUS username  ( threateningmessage at vwg.com )
>
> Sendmail always responds with a User unknown message … but what is the
> logic of sending this many messages?
>
> All of them come from different source addresses so I’m pretty sure it’s
> some kind of spamming technique.. but not the usual dictionary attack I see.
>

> Should I be concerned??
>

> Tim Barhorst

It could be someones attempt at a denial of service attack using servers that
bounce instead of reject. It would be directed at the vwg.com domain which is
a wholesale grocery company.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and