OT: Spamcop BL - good or dangerous?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Nov 29 15:34:04 GMT 2006

Rose, Bobby wrote:
> Your not distinguishing between a spamtrap issue vs a spam reporting
> issue.  Spamtrap domains/addresses are not public known as such.
> Spamcop has dummy mail domains that doesn't have any users that send any
> mail out so it's not reasonable for people to be replying to them, or
> those addresses opting into mailings.  The spamtrap addresses are then
> seeded on the net so spammers who spider thru google and such to get
> email addresses will pick them up.
>
> Also based on what I recall reading on Spamcop, they supposedly contact
> the ISP on spam reports (my guess postmaster at domain or based on whois
> info )and if the receive no response or no action is taken, then the
> host is added to the list of reported spam sources.  So if that's the
> case, they are still leaving it up to the ISP to make that
> determination.

Contact the ISP?

You get an automated response that says nothing more than "You're it".
If you try to make contact with SpamCop you get an automated response
claiming to be checking to make sure YOU are not using automated
you jump through the final hoop, you never hear back from them again.

Been there, done that, got that Tee shirt.

DAve

Veterans?