bayes_journal - Bad permissions

Martin martin.lyberg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 08:14:22 GMT 2006

Glenn Steen wrote:

> Hej Martin,

Hej Glenn :)

> (Apart from this being the wrong mailing list:-)... Have you set
> bayes_file_mode 0770
> (at least) in either /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf or
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf ?

Yes, 0770 is set in /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf:

bayes_file_mode 0770

> Why do you have them all with s? Effective group is immaterial, since
> these aren't executable... The only one that might have the effect you
> want is the "." directory one:-). Do a
> chmod 0660 *
> to clear that (no, it doesn't hurt anything either, and don't clear it
> on the directory:-).

I've changed it to +s yesterday when i read in a thread in this list (or
in the mailwatch-list) about someone having the same problem.

Anyway, i've changed /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/ back to 0660
now. As it was before.

> Then check in MailScanner.conf that you have:
> Incoming Work Permissions = 0660
> Quarantine Permissions = 0660
> as well as the
> Run As User = postfix
> Run As Group = postfix
> Quarantine User = postfix
> Quarantine Group = www-data

There were one difference in my config.

my Incoming Work Permissions was set to 0600, and not 0660. Could this
been causing the problem? I've changed it now and will see if it helps.

> Most important is the bayes_file_mode "mask".

/ Martin