use spamcop and bounce with spamcop response help.

Chuck Rock carock at epconline.net
Tue Nov 28 16:12:41 GMT 2006

Scott Silva <ssilva <at> sgvwater.com> writes:

> Chuck Rock spake the following on 11/27/2006 7:47 AM:
> > Scott Silva <ssilva <at> sgvwater.com> writes:
> >
> >> Chuck Rock spake the following on 11/26/2006 4:41 PM:

> > headers

> > listed

> >> If you want that "feature", and are dropping the message anyway, why not
just
> >> drop it at the MTA. You will save yourself the load, and get the desired
> >> result. You really should never bounce messages after you receive them. If
> >> they are dropped during the connection phase, you get the rejection to the
> >> proper server, but if you have received it, then all you have is the
possibly
> >> forged sender address to rely on.
> >
> > So basically, if I can have MailScanner skip the spam lists check
altogether
> > and just put the spamcop config in the proper sendmail config file for my
> > inbound sendmail process?
> >
> > Is there another benefit of having MailScanner check the rbl's instead of
or
> > in addition to Sendmail?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chuck
> >

> The only benefit I know of is if you want to store the bad stuff in
> quarantine. The best in order are ;
> MTA
> Spamassassin
> Mailscanner
>
> If you have no problem dropping every message that hits spamcop, then
dropping
> at the MTA is the safest and least processor intensive. After that, you have
> the message on your server, and bouncing it will make you many enemies, and
> maybe get you listed on a blacklist yourself. I am using sbl-xbl and
> combined.njabl.org at the mta with no complaints. You should open up your
> abuse and postmaster addresses, but spamassassin and mailscanner can catch a
> lot of the garbage there.

Thanks everyone for the valuable input. I run a small ISP with a few thousand
mailboxes and I'm very very tired of spending so much time and money
to "handle" the onslaught of spam. I have too many customers complaining and
when my servers have problems, all the business customers complain because
they can't do business...

I have received messages from Spamcop with enough information for me to find
the problem. I would go as far to say that if a sender is listed in the
spamcop database, I'm secure enough to assume it's for a good reason and
whomever owns that IP, needs to know and do something about it. Bounces are
good for me because they at least will let a legitimate sender know that their
message didn't reach the destination and the server resources and bandwidth
are not used. I guess one other bonus to using MailScanner would be that for
certain recipients, I could make it ignore the spamlist test so if people
really didn't want to reject messages from senders found in Spamcop, then I
could allow that.

Thanks again for your time.

Chuck