Botnet 0.4 Spam Assassin plugin

John Rudd jrudd at ucsc.edu
Mon Nov 27 21:05:14 GMT 2006

Did you add the address (as a regular expression) to the skip list with
one of these lines:

botnet_skip_ip		^A\.B\.C\.D$

(where the machine's IP addr is A.B.C.D)

That would cause it to skip past that Received header (and if that's the
last/oldest received header, then it will pass the message entirely).

Also, was it triggering on BOTNET_CLIENTWORDS or BOTNET_IPINHOSTNAME or
both?  If it's only triggering BOTNET_CLIENTWORDS, then try seeing which
of the client words its triggering, and remove that from the cf file.
For example, if "dsl" is the only one of the clientwords its triggering
on, then remove "dsl" form the botnet_clientwords setting.

Last, you could also set the score for BOTNET_CLIENT to 0.  This means
you'll only be triggering the BOTNET score if the message has no rdns
(BOTNET_NORDNS), or lacks full-circle dns (BOTNET_BADDNS).

The other thing I would ask is: What value do you set for
deleting/rejecting (without human review) spam?  It seems to me that if
you've set it lower than 10, that's an incredibly bad idea (even without
botnet installed).  If you've set it higher than 10, then Botnet
wouldn't be causing you to delete/reject anything that SpamAssassin
didn't already think was spam.

For the question about the score: the score is intended to automatically
cause the message to be quarantined/delivered-to-a-spam-folder.  That's
why it's at 5: unless the message's score is otherwise negative, this is
effectively flagged for "needs human review".  Even if you've set your
high spam value to 10, it wouldn't apply high spam actions unless the
message was already considered to be spam.  (for me, I reject messages,
during SMTP, at an SA score of 10 ... so I only reject a message if it
is otherwise considered spam AND a botnet ... or if it's REALLY bad
spam; otherwise I deliver it ... I don't consider it a problem to have a
false positive quarantined or delivered to my spam folder: that's what
"delivery/quarantining of spam" is for)

Feel free to adjust the score to your tastes... but that's why I've set
it where I set it.  I suppose one idea would be to set the score to be
no more than "High Spam - Spam".