SA-learn question...

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 15:46:45 GMT 2006

On 27/11/06, Rob Morin <rob at dido.ca> wrote:
> Ok i have been searching around looking to see which is the proper way
> to use the SA-learn command, but it only made me more confused...
>
> as if i run it as root it only learns for the user root? how do i make
> it work for all incoming emails for all users?
>
> I have uncommented and added the below to  my local.cf file... i am also
> confused about which file to modify for SA related stuff
>
> /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> or
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>
> as there are entries for the same thing in both files.???
>
> Any help appreciated....
>
> -------------
>
> #   Use Bayesian classifier (default: 1)
> #
>  use_bayes 1
>

> #   Bayesian classifier auto-learning (default: 1)
> #
>  bayes_auto_learn 1
>
> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam       0.1
> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam          6.0

If you have a fairly modern MS, then you'll have a symbolic link from
/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf to spam.assass.prefs.conf ...
Since this will come after local.cf ... it'll "win". Best is to only
set them in one place, so choose one and stick with it:-).
The name of spam.assassin.prefs.conf isn't quite correct anymore... It
isn't a user preference file anymore... So one shouldn't specify it as
such... SA will find it through the link.
The reason for the shift was mainly because some non-prefs are set in
it... And the added bonus of not needing to specify it anymore (not to
mention making Matt K. happy:-).

--
-- Glenn