Use MailScanner and Spamassassin spamd

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Tue Nov 21 18:23:34 GMT 2006

Leah Kubik wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 12:17, Matt Kettler wrote:
>> Leah Kubik wrote:
>>> I am wondering if it might be possible to run spamd on a server that is
>>> running MailScanner and not have major issues?
>> Why? it would be considerably slower.
>
> The reason being so that people could use applications to talk to spamd over
> TCP from their mail clients to further manage their Bayesian filters...

Ahh, that should be perfectly fine.

SA does have reasonable locks on the bayes DB, so spamd's activities should not
interfere with MailScanner..

You'll just have to make sure your bayes_path and bayes_file_mode are set
appropriately. (and read the docs carefully, bayes path is NOT a path, and
bayes_file_mode is not a mode, it's a positive-logic mask and should include the
'x' bit)

The biggest thing to beware of is that on rare occasion some versions of spamd
have been known to wind up chowing the bayes db to nobody, even if started with
-u. Therefore it's usually best to use 0777 for bayes_file_mode.