OT: RE: pingscript to deal with flakey connections

Joshua Hirsh joshua.hirsh at partnersolutions.ca
Tue Nov 21 18:11:13 GMT 2006

Hi Remco,

 I don't have a script like this in production, but it isn't very hard
to write :-P

 Attached is one I just wrote in perl (about 20 minutes). It requires
the fping binary to be installed (http://www.fping.com/). This
particular version can be set with a threshold level, so you can take
your server offline if 4 out of 5 sites are offline.

 You'll want to verify that you've removed your hourly cron job to check
the status of MailScanner, otherwise it will start itself back up
(/etc/cron.hourly/check_MailScanner on my system).

 I've only tested this on my workstation, but it seems to run as
expected. The standard disclaimer applies.. I wrote it, but take no
responsibility for its use or any damage you may incur on your systems
from using it. If you like it, great. If you don't, edit it to your
liking or just delete it ;-)

 Cheers,

-Joshua