Spam inside images

Erik van der Leun evanderleun at hal9000.nl
Tue Nov 21 15:12:23 GMT 2006

Gerhard Mourani wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I would like to know if someone know how to make MailScanner scan inside
> images for spam. I receive lot of this kind of new spam now. There are
> inside the image and cannot be detected by spamassasin which check for
> texts only.
>
> Gerhard,

1. cd to /etc/mail/spamassassin
2. download the patch file from:
http://antispam.imp.ch/patches/patch-ocrtext
3. type 'patch < patch-ocrtext'
   This will create two files in  your current directory called
   ocrtext.cf and ocrtext.pm
   4. Edit v310.pre and add the following lines:

   # OCR - performs Optical Character Recognition on spam images
   #
   loadplugin ocrtext /etc/mail/spamassassin/ocrtext.pm
   loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Timeout

   5. Edit the ocrtext.cr file and change the following settings:

   ## This points to your gocr binary not just the path.  Try 'which gocr'.
   gocr_path       /usr/local/bin/gocr
   ## This is JUST the path to your pnm binarys ( i.e. pngtopnm, giftopnm,
   jpegtopnm )
   pnmtools_path   /usr/bin

   6. Run spamassassin -D --lint  and check for errors.

   If all went well restart spamassassin or force it to reread it's config
   however you would on your system.

   Then try typing something like 'tail -f /var/log/mail.log | grep
   SPAMPIC_ALPHA', on a high volume server you should see some rules
   matching after a few minutes.  If so then you are OCR'ing the images!