MailScanner/SA Rules

Jim Coates jimc at laridian.com
Mon Nov 20 20:46:05 GMT 2006

> > Ok - I'm a little confused here.
> >
> > I was changing some scoring around for the RBL rules and searched
> > through the list here to discover something:
> >
> > I have been using a local.cf to set up custom rules.  They seem to
> > work just fine.  Then I went to edit the RBL scores and
> noticed that
> > changing them in local.cf didn't seem to do anything (yes - I
> > restarted).  I started checking through the list and came
> across some
> > postings that state that you shouldn't have a local.cf if you are
> > using MailScanner, but you should instead be using the
> > spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>
> That's bad advice. In fact, from a SA perspective, you can't
> have rules in this file, only rescore and other
> non-administrative options.
>
> That said, in modern versions of mailscanner,
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf is symlinked to mailscanner.cf, so
> it gets parsed the same as local.cf.
>

> I'd check around and set your site rules directory in
> MailScanner.conf instead.

Matt - thanks.  So are you suggesting that local.cf is still the appropriate
place to put custom SA rules (rather than spam.assassin.prefs.conf?

> > The messages said that it states this in the prefs file,
> but for some
> > reason mine didn't - which is why I didn't change how I was
> doing it.
> >
> > So I have a few questions...
> >
> > 1) Should I add everything I currently have in my local.cf to my
> > spam.assassin.prefs.conf and rename/remove the local.cf?
>
> No. Technically, this file should be a replacement for
> user_prefs, although as said above, it's now equivalent to
> local.cf due to symlinks.
>
> > 2) Why were custom rules working, but not RBL score changes
> from the
> > local.cf?
>
> That seems very odd, I'd expect all or nothing. Unless a
> parse error is causing half the file to be ignored.
>
> Try running spamassassin --lint. It should run and exit quietly.

Oops... I did indeed find a single parse error.  "descrive" instead of
"describe" - and it did occur before the score changes in the order of the
local.cf file.  I've made the appropriate changes and am waiting to see if
it has helped.

> > 3) My rules from Rules Du Jour still get dropped into
> > /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin, where the local.cf currently
> > exists... will they function properly from there and can
> therefore be
> > left alone, or should they be moved elsewhere, too?
>
> Note: check to make sure /etc/mail/spamassassin doesn't
> exist. If it does, the /usr/local one will be ignored unless
> SA is explicitly told to use it.
>
> (SA by default does a search for reasonable equivalents to
> /etc/mail/spamassassin, and it uses the first one it finds)

Thanks,
Jim