MailScanner/SA Rules

Jim Coates jimc at laridian.com
Mon Nov 20 18:01:41 GMT 2006

Ok - I'm a little confused here.

I was changing some scoring around for the RBL rules and searched through
the list here to discover something:

I have been using a local.cf to set up custom rules.  They seem to work just
fine.  Then I went to edit the RBL scores and noticed that changing them in
local.cf didn't seem to do anything (yes - I restarted).  I started checking
through the list and came across some postings that state that you shouldn't
have a local.cf if you are using MailScanner, but you should instead be
using the spam.assassin.prefs.conf

The messages said that it states this in the prefs file, but for some reason
mine didn't - which is why I didn't change how I was doing it.

So I have a few questions...

1) Should I add everything I currently have in my local.cf to my
spam.assassin.prefs.conf and rename/remove the local.cf?
2) Why were custom rules working, but not RBL score changes from the
local.cf?
3) My rules from Rules Du Jour still get dropped into
/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin, where the local.cf currently exists...
will they function properly from there and can therefore be left alone, or
should they be moved elsewhere, too?

I thought I had a pretty good grasp on where things should be and where to
edit them, but now I'm confused.

Thanks!
Jim Coates