Sendmail reject trumps whitelist?

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Nov 17 20:15:51 GMT 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Brett Charbeneau wrote:

>> > Greetings all,
>> >
>> >       I've set up sendmail to reject incoming messages with a 554 error
>> if
>> > they are listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net by sticking this line in my
>> sendmail.mc
>> > file:
>> >
>> > FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl.sorbs.net',`"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr} > "
>> > BLACKLISTED found in dnsbl.sorbs.net"')dnl
>> >
>> >       Now this list tends to get mad a AOL and Hotmail mail servers for
>> > obvious reasons and therefore ALL mail from these domains, legit or not,
>>
>> Have sendmail "OK" aol.com and hotmail.com and let mailscanner deal
>> with what is spam or not for those two domains
>
> 	Ah, so!
> 	Good idea, Res - many thanks. Sendmail took my
>
> Spam:*aol.com		FRIEND

aol.com		OK

would also work if you did not include the friends in delay checks :)

SORBS is very good, but it's also by nature a non forgiving RBL
as we all know of the half a dozen MX's hotmail have, there are 4 or so
ip's per MX, and one of the ip's associated with an MX is all it takes to
upset people and its hard to explain to non techies that thats why when
you do an rbl test agaisnt mx1.hotmail.com mx2... and so on and it shows
them nothing that there is a problem. whitelisting it at MTA was best
solition and its not bene a problem since.

I was asked to do same with yahoo, but all the yahoo stuff *is* spam that
i've seen, so to hell with them :)

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd