Mailscanner not catching SPAM but manual run via SA catches it

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Wed Nov 15 20:26:06 GMT 2006

Dan Carl wrote:
[snip]
>> Sorry if you posted this already, but how do you do your Bayes expiry?
> I used to have it as a cronjob, but just used the line in Mailscanner.conf

>> How big is your Bayes db?
> 5.2M bayes_seen
> 2.9M bayes_toks

>> I'm thinking expiry problems here... Do you get bayes_toks.expire*
> no

>> files (where you have your bayes DB files)?
> /root/.spamassassin
> Question?
> My auto-whitelist is 82M is this normal?

No (640k in my case).  I'm not sure how SA cleans this data base, I see no
options other than "use_auto_whitelist", "auto_whitelist_path", and
"auto_whitelist_file_mode".

> If it is and I have Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
> will it show up in the header as being whitelist?

Yes, it appears as an optional score then AWL.

> I know my spam.whitelist.rules are displayed in the header.

Only the word "whitelisted" not the rule.

>> SpamCop and Sorbs could be slow responses...
> I've been logging speed today and most batches take less than 10seconds
> I set my Spam List Timeout = 60
> Is there anything else I can try?
> Not as concerned about how long it takes to deliver a message as I am about
> reducing spam.

Do you use sa-update?

If you do, have you tried setting MS' "SpamAssassin Local State Dir"?
--
René Berber