Massive queue buildup

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Tue Nov 14 00:47:44 GMT 2006

Brent Addis wrote:
> you can't guarantee that non suspicious (however urgent) email won't be listed in an rbl or have an invalid HELO at all times.

true. ymmv with any anti-spam system. I'd love it if we could clone each
end user's brain and create a AI based system that simply used each end
users' brain's response to the message to determine if each message to
was spam or not. That would be pretty foolproof. Sadly, perhaps.. we
don't have that ability. :-(

> Copied from another list as well:

> One important thing to watch for is that for larger sites the server that
> first tries to send your email might not be the one that tries to resend
> it later. Greylisting sites will thus block the email for a while until
> the sending site gets lucky and uses the same machine twice in a row.

Not true. You can greylist on IP, MAIL, RCPT, HELO. It doesn't have to
be just the IP and RCPT.

> Generating tempfail messages to sending sites is just asking for
> trouble IMHO. You really can't determine exactly they will act and how
> long they will take to retry to send the message. Any delay is 100%
> your fault although most people using greylisting seem keen to push the
> blame to the sending site.

If a site is not RFC compliant, or is listed in several RBLs, they
certainly have some responsibility in that - at least 99.99% of the time
if you are using a reliable RBL. You can also whitelist any non rfc
compliant and/or rbl listed domains as you wish.

> It's the equivalent of ignoring someone when they first email/call you and
> saying "If it's important they'll ring back" . Not very polite and
> possibly not providing the best service to customers.

In terms of telephone call, it's more like having your calls screened.

Ken A
Pacific.Net