MailScanner/sendmail load balancing

Daniel Maher daniel.maher at ubisoft.com
Fri Nov 10 17:06:48 GMT 2006

In our environment, we have a small cluster of incoming mail servers, each running Postfix & MailScanner.  We balance these via DNS, in the same way that Google, Yahoo, and many other email players do: our MX points to a single hostname (mail01), which in turn has A-records for each of the machines in the cluster.

ubisoft.com.            300     IN      MX      10 mail01.ubisoft.com.
;;
mail01.ubisoft.com.     3600    IN      A       216.98.56.133
mail01.ubisoft.com.     3600    IN      A       216.98.56.138
mail01.ubisoft.com.     3600    IN      A       216.98.56.132

Done and done - it works like a charm, and it is fantastically easy to set up and maintain.

--
  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.