Greylisting .. nice ..

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Sat Nov 4 07:27:13 GMT 2006

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Jim Holland wrote:

> My objection to it is not that it doesn't work, but that it makes all
> genuine mail servers work twice as hard to deliver mail.  I like having an
> outgoing mail queue as clean as possible, and the greylisters mean
> multiple retry attempts before the mail can be delivered.  The more people
> adopt it the harder it is going to get for the rest of us.  And if the
> spammers adapt to it then we are all going to face a massive increase in
> the number of connection attempts they make on us to defeat greylisting,
> and Internet bandwidth will become even more congested than it is at the
> moment.
>
> It reminds me of the arguments for keeping a gun in the house - "I just
> want to make sure that I can protect my family against a dangerous world".
> But if everyone did just that the world would become an even more
> dangerous place.
>
> There are definitely no guns in my house.

I forgot to mention - we do have:

	Guards in the street outside (but no guns)
	A high wall protected by thorns
	An electric gate
	Guards inside the grounds (but no guns)
	Burglar bars on the windows
	Security grilles on the doors
	Motion sensors etc in critical places
	A siren in the roof
	A radio alarm connected to a security firm
and
	A bullet hole in our front window from a raid by state security
	chasing my politically active wife

But this is Zimbabwe after all . . .

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service