out of curiosity: reload and restart

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Nov 2 17:33:05 GMT 2006

Alex Neuman van der Hans spake the following on 11/2/2006 7:14 AM:
> Sven De Troch wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:36:01 -0600, "Mike Kercher" <mike at vesol.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info <> scribbled on :
>>>
>>> You do not have to reload or restart MS (sendmail) after making changes
>>> to the access, virtusertable or mailertable.  If you change your
>>> sendmail.mc/cf, you need to RESTART MS, but only because that will
>>> restart the sendmail processes.
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I thought as well that reloading MS is not sufficient to read new
>> sendmail configs (i.e. access file), but this seems to be working for
>> me and I don't find it logic neither (and because of this I raised my
>> question here).
>>
>> With only reloading MS, my MTA is accepting the new acces config (To:
>> domain RELAY) are am I dreaming ;-)
>>

> Sendmail doesn't need to be restarted for changes to the access file to
> "stick". Adding a milter or an rbl (or some other parameter) to
> sendmail.mc and recompiling sendmail.cf *does* require a restart (as
> opposed to a "reload"), although I don't know if it could be
> accomplished with a "killall -HUP sendmail" (haven't tried).
To further clarify, it only needs a restart if you want to see the changes
immediately. If you don't care, it will be re-read when MailScanner does its
restart every xxx code.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and