Question regarding FLOCK or POSIX with Sendmail 8.13.x and MailScanner.

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Thu Nov 2 14:05:32 GMT 2006

> Earlier this year, there was an internal inconsistency within
> MS which I spotted at 4.54.6 .
>
> In "MailScanner.conf" the comments describing the default "Lock Type"
> (i.e. left blank) behaviour said 'it defaults to "posix"',
> but the actual behaviour (when left blank) was to set it to "flock".
>
> That is, the comments said MS would behave one way but its
> actual behaviour was the opposite.
>
> See threads starting at:
>
> http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-June/
> 061887.html
> and Julian's acknowledgement and fix at:
>
> http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-June/
> 061974.html
>

> So either upgrade to a more recent version (than 4.54.6) or
> if you need to stay back at 4.54.6 then explicitly state
> which lock type you want.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thank you for the information.  I found those this morning when doing
further searches.

I am hesitant to turn posix on, on my main server that has been using
Sendmail 8.13.x and flock for months now without issue.

I am starting with a lower load box first.  I am afraid that it will
cause a duplication issue.  It seems to with some sendmail 8.12.x users,
and when they show their compiled options I don't see flock listed.

Here is one posting from a recent person with the duplicating message
issue that was using Sendmail 8.12.11:

>Yes I'm using sendmail.
>
>8.12.11-4.6
>
># sendmail -d0.1
>Version 8.12.11
> Compiled with: DNSMAP HESIOD HES_GETMAILHOST LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX
MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET
>NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS
USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT
>Duncan

Since he does not have FLOCK shown in his compiled options, shouldn't of
Posix worked for him? (Everything was ok when he switched to flock) - I
looked at an older box I have here with sendmail 8.12 on it and I don't
have flock shown as a compiled option.  I thought it was supposed to
show you if flock support is compiled into sendmail.

Can someone please explain to me how it is determined that with Sendmail
8.13.x + versions you have to use posix? Is there any way to determine
100% that your sendmail compile is already using Posix and NOT flock?
Looking for flock in the compiled options does not look to be accurate
based on the above post I included. (He had to switch to flock to make
his work, yet flock does NOT show up in his compiled options)

Thanks

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Regulations Governing Practice Before the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained herein is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used by a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.