# of messages per batch

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Nov 2 00:26:09 GMT 2006

Sven De Troch spake the following on 11/1/2006 2:24 PM:
> Hello,
>
> how can I define how much files per batch MailScanner is handling?
> According to the logfiles MailScanner is processing almost always 1
> message per batch, even if there are different messages waiting in the
> queues?
>
> I have the impression that it takes longtime to process queues of 100
> messages (about 1 minute, av scanning with clamav and bitdefender
> included).
>
> In my MailScanner.conf:
> Max Children = 10
>
> MTA: sendmail
> Server: MS Virtual Machine 2GB Ram, 1cpu 2GHz
> Network: 100mbps to the internet (not congested)
>
> Thanks for some mini tuning tips ;-)
>
> kind regards,
> Sven

There is a setting in the conf file for max messages per batch, but
MailScanner will not sit and wait for messages to pile up. If you are running
10 children, and mailscanner is set to check the queue every 30 seconds, then
you would have to get something like 600 messages per minute to fill the
default batch size of 30. If you are getting 10 to 20 messages a minute, you
will never even break a sweat with 10 children. That would be around 1-4
messages per batch. You could lower your max children and see if the system
keeps up.
The recommendation is for 5 children per REAL cpu ( not hyperthreaded cpu) and
1 gig per cpu.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and